Learn About Emergency Medical Technician, EMT Schools, Training, Jobs, and Careers
What is an Emergency Medical Technician?
You never know when you are going to be hit my medical emergency. It happens to most of us. This is where emergency medical technicians (EMT) come in.
EMTs are the first responders to medical emergency. If you have gotten out of the way for an ambulance while you are driving on the road, then you understand the nature of the work done by emergency medical technician. They are on a mission to rescue a person or persons involved in medical emergency. That mission could even involve saving live/s.
When these technicians arrive at the scene, they must quickly assess the situation at hand. This will involve things like:
1. Determine priorities for treatment; they have to get to those that need the most urgent care first
2. Determine the nature and severity of injuries
3. Establish treatment procedure
4. Look for pre-existing conditions; the patient could have things like epilepsy, diabetics, allergies
5. Administer emergency treatment, such as CPR and or stop bleeding
6. Request for help if additional help is needed
7. Prepare patient for transportation to hospital emergency room, by placing patient on a stretcher and ambulance
8. Communicate with the hospital emergency room physician or nurse
9. Monitor and transport patient to the hospital emergency room
10. Transfer patient to the emergency room
The EMT must work under the guidance of emergency room doctor. In fact they are considered part of the hospital emergency medical team.
The emergency medical technician must be calm at all times when performing his or her duties. The last thing you want is somebody that would make already nervous patients more nervous.
How to Become an Emergency Medical Technician:
To become an EMT, you should first of all get a high school diploma or equivalent. You should take classes like physical education, English, computer science, etc.
You will then need to further your education by getting a certificate or associate degree. When you get into an EMT program, you can expect to take the following courses in a certificate or associate degree program:
a. Cardiac Emergency
b. Patient Assessment
c. Medical Terminology
d. Rescue Techniques and Procedures
e. Defensive Driving
g. Trauma and Stress Analysis
An emergency medical technician certificate program will last about 12 months. After graduation, you must be certified. You must take and pass written and practical examinations administered by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). Some states give you the option of taking their own certification exam or that given by NREMT.
Emergency Medical Technician Salary:
EMTs make decent salary. The average salary is $25,000 per year. We have seen salary as high as $54,000 per year. This depends on your location, education, and level of responsibility. This salary will continue to increase as you gain more experience and years of service.
Emergency Medical Technician School:
We know an excellent school for EMT training. The school is Everest University. You need to check them out. In as little as 12 months, you can be making the above pay.
You can request for free no obligation information through this link.
Emergency Medical Technician
Medical Assistants Schools and Careers