Learn About Dietetic Technician, Nutritional Care Technician Schools, Training, Jobs, and Careers
What is a Dietetic Technician?
Most of us have noticed it. As we get older, the list of things we can eat get smaller and smaller. It has to do with slowing of the metabolism. As this happens, we become less active and our arteries clog.
This is why healthcare facilities need dietetic technicians or nutritional care technicians. These technicians work with dietitians to plan and implement nutritional programs at healthcare facilities and schools. In a normal work day, a technician may do some or all of the following:
1. Talk to patients to get their diet and medical history
2. Assist patients plan their diet based on budget and prescription
3. Assist patients select and purchase food based on prescription from the dietitian
4. Assist patients prepare meals
5. Translate the dietitian diet prescription into daily meal plan
6. Order food supplies for healthcare facilities
7. Maintain quality control
8. Make sure food preparation meets safety guidelines
9. Counsel patients on good nutrition
10. Counsel communities on proper nutrition
11. Help develop and test food products
12. Assist in developing new food service systems
The nutritional technician must work under the supervision and direction of the dietitian. Their level of training does not allow them to develop diet plans by themselves.
How to Become a Dietetic Technician:
To become a dietetic tech, you should first finish high school or obtain your GED. The courses that can help in high school are data processing, office procedures, computer skills, health education, etc.
After this, you then apply to a school that offers the dietetic technician program. You need a minimum of associate degree in nutritional care technician. The associate degree should take about 2 years to complete. You can look forward to taking classes like:
a. Introduction to Human Nutrition
b. Fundamentals of Dietetic
c. Food Preparation
d. Nutrition for Dietetics
e. Food Science
f. Physiology for Dietetics
g. Clinical Nutrition
Upon graduation, you should to be registered and certified. You can do so by taking and passing the certification examination given by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. This will give you the title of Dietetic Technician Registered (DTR).
Dietetic Technician Salary:
Nutritional care techs make good pay. The national average pay is $36,000 per year. Their salary can go as high as $46,000 per year. This depends on your location, education, and level of responsibility.
Dietetic Technician School:
One of the best ways to find dietetic tech school is to do a search on the internet. You can narrow the search to your preferred location.
Just click this link to begin your search and be on your way to potential $46,000 per year.
Medical Assistants Schoos and Careers