Find Surgical Technologist, Surgical Tech Schools, Training, Jobs, and Careers
What is a Surgical Technologist?
It takes a team of medical professionals to perform surgery. The surgical technologist is an important member of any surgical team. He or she assists in surgical operations under the watchful eye of the physician or other team members.
A typical surgery team will include the surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurse, and the surgical technologist. The technologist will perform the following roles or duties to assist his or her team members:
1. Prepare the operating room
2. Setup surgical instruments, equipments, machines, and sterile solution
3. Sterilize surgical instruments, equipments, and machines
4. Check surgical instruments, equipments, and machines to make sure they are functioning properly
5. Prepare the patient by washing, shaving, disinfecting the body part where the surgery will be performed
6. Take the patient to the operating room
7. Help the surgeon and other team members put on their gowns and gloves
8. Pass surgical instruments to the surgeon during the operation
9. Check and monitor patient’s vital signs
10. Transport the patient to the recovery room after the surgery
This operating room technician as they are sometimes called must be alert at all times during the operation. This helps them anticipate the next surgical instrument the doctor needs before the doctor calls for it.
How to Become a Surgical Technologist:
Those that want to become operating room technicians should first of all get a high school diploma or equivalent. You should take courses in health education, biology, psychology, etc. This will get you ready to apply and get into a surgical technologist school.
An operating room technician program will take you from 9 to 24 months to complete. The length of time will depend on if you are getting a certificate or associate degree in surgical technology. You should expect to take classes in such things as:
a. Surgical Technology Techniques and Procedures
b. Medical Terminology
c. Patient Care
d. Sterile Techniques
e. Surgical Technology Theory
f. Medical Ethics and Laws
g. Sterile Instruments
h. Human Anatomy
i. Human Physiology
Being certified as operating room technician is not required, but most employers prefer it. You can get certified by taking and passing the national certification exam. You will be required to go through reexamination every 4 to 5 years.
Surgical Technologist Salary:
For those that want to become operating room technicians, you can look forward to a healthy salary. The average salary is $39,000 per year. We have seen salaries as high as $51,000 per year. This will depend on your education, experience, and location of your employment.
Surgical Technologist School:
We know of 2 schools that offer the operating room technician program. One of them is Everest University. You need to check them out.
You can do so through this link.
The other school is Rasmussen College. Rasmussen College has campus and online programs. Check them out.
You can also do it by clicking this link.
Medical Assistants Schools and Careers